Leading up to Canada Day, the APEX team is having a great Canadian scavenger hunt, exploring media markets across the country.
Exactly a week before Canada Day the province of Québec celebrates La Saint-Jean-Baptiste, also known as La fête nationale.
When I was in Québec City for the first time as a teen, I thought it was the most romantic place ever. And I still see how easy it is to fall in love with it. Or as they say about the province…
« Au Québec, vous tomberez en amour avec notre nature, avec nos traditions, avec notre folie et surtout avec nos gens ! »
- 799,600 (Census Metropolitan Areas)
3. 3 interesting facts
- There’s a chocolate museum in the city.
- “Québec” comes from “Kébèk” in Algonquin, meaning narrow passage like where the waterway narrows in the spot where Samuel de Champlain is said to have founded Québec.
- Canadians pronounce Québec a number of different ways, as I found out in a recent national survey. “Kay – beck” is the French pronunciation of Québec (listen via Wikipedia).
- Historic hockey rivalry with Montréal
5. Known for
6. 5 local bloggers
7. 5 local hashtags
Tip: In France a hashtag is called a mot-dièse, but l’Office québécois de la langue française prefers mot-clic.
8. 3 upcoming events
9. Go-to source for anything local
10. 3 magazines
11. 3 media personalities
13. Local TV
14. Up to 10 radio stations