Leading up to Canada Day, the APEX team is having a great Canadian scavenger hunt, exploring media markets across the country.
With a few days before our nation’s big birthday, we head to our neighbour in the west, known as the “Gateway of the West” for its railway and transportation, and also being a large producer of gold medal-winning Golden Caviar.
- 782,600 (Census Metropolitan Areas)
3. 3 interesting facts
- Beloved children’s bear, Winnie the Pooh, is based off of WW1 Captain Harry Coleburn’s (Winnipeg resident) black bear he brought to London, and donated to the London Zoo.
- Winnipeg developed the 911 emergency phone number.
- A man from Winnipeg helped create Bugs Bunny, Snow White, Elmer Fudd and Little Hiawatha.
- Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers
5. Known for
- Famous rockers: Neil Young, Burton Cummings (The Guess Who), Chantal Kreviazuk, the Weakerthans, and Bif Naked.
- Bad winters
6. 5 local bloggers
7. 5 local hashtags
8. 3 upcoming events
9. Go-to source for anything local
10. 3 magazines
11. 3 media personalities
13. Local TV
14. Up to 10 radio stations
Brandon Iaboni is an intern coordinator at APEX. See where else we go in our great Canadian scavenger hunt.
Photo credit: Bob Linsdell Photosforclass.com
NEXT: Explore scenic Saskatoon