At APEX we are always looking for new ways to celebrate and spread Halloween fun. This year we worked with Nestlé Canada to create something simple, spooky and delicious for Halloween.
We transformed of Nestle’s Halloween favourites — SCARIES, ScAERO, KIT KAT and COFFIN CRISP — into perfect Halloween treats that played up the spooky factor for the occasion. We were thrilled that Chocolate Mummies, Witch’s Brew Cupcakes, Creepy Crawler Cookies and Spider Brownie Pizza were a hit with bloggers, television shows and journalists alike – even inspiring some of them to create their own recipes!
Check out some of the great coverage our recipes received below:
- CityLine’s Halloween Special
- Toronto Sun – Halloween treats that go yum in the night
- Huffington Post Canada – A Halloween recipe for Slackers
- Little Miss Kate and Co. – Spooktacular Spider Halloween Recipes
These spooktacular treats are a perfect way to continue the Halloween festivities with your family:
ScAERO Spider Brownie Pizza
- 12 (7.3 g) Nestlé ScAERO Snack Size Bars
- 1 pkg. (450 g) brownie mix
- 1 cup (250 ml) cream cheese frosting
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) chocolate frosting or icing
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) coloured decorating icing
- Line a rimmed 12-inch (31 cm) pizza pan with parchment paper; set aside. Prepare brownie mix according to package directions, spread brownie batter in pan and bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until tester inserted 1-inch (2.5 cm) from edge of pan comes out clean.
- Cool brownies completely. Spread with cream cheese frosting.
- Arrange 12 ScAERO Snack Size Bars on top, leaving about 3-inch (7.6 cm) space between each.
- Add chocolate frosting to a small resealable bag; snip corner.
- Pipe frosting around each bar to resemble 8 spider legs. Pipe 2 dots on each spider to resemble eyes.
Makes 16 servings.
COFFIN CRISP Mummies
- 20 (12 g) small Nestlé COFFIN CRISP Snack Size Bars
- 1 pkg. (225 g) white chocolate chips, melted
- 40 mini dark chocolate chips
- Place Nestlé COFFIN CRISP Snack Size Bars on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, leaving 2-inch (5 cm) space between each.
- Cool melted white chocolate slightly. Spoon into a medium resealable bag; snip corner. Pipe 2 dots on each Nestlé COFFIN CRISP Snack Size Bars for the mummy’s eye. Adhere a mini dark chocolate chip to each to complete the eyes. Drizzle remaining white chocolate over bars to resemble a “wrapped” mummy look.
Makes 20 mummies.
Witch’s Brew KIT KAT Cupcakes
- 12 (12 g) Nestlé KIT KAT Snack Size Bars
- 1 pkg. (432 g) chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) vanilla frosting
- 3 to 5 drops green food colouring or gel
- 1/2 cup white sugar pearls
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions to make 24 cupcakes, fitted with Halloween-inspired liners. Cool cupcakes completely.
- Cauldron handles: Place melted chocolate into resealable bag. Snip corner off to make 1/8-inch opening. Onto wax paper lined baking sheet, pipe 48 C-shapes, about 1-inch in size. Refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes until set.
- Scoop about 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) cake from centre of each cupcake, leaving 1/4-inch border around edges. Mix vanilla frosting with food colouring to desired shade of green to resemble a witch’s brew. Spread a heaping tablespoon into centre of each cupcake letting some ooze over side.
- Spread sugar pearls onto plate. Dip each cupcake in pearls to adhere.
- Place two chocolate C-shapes onto each side of cupcake to make handles.
- Break each KIT KAT Snack Size Bar in half. Insert one bar into top of each cupcake for the witch’s stirring spoon.
Makes 24 cupcake cauldrons.
SCARIES Creepy Crawler Cookies
- 24 pkg (10 g) Nestlé SCARIES Snack Size Bars
- 1 pkg. (496 g) sugar cookie mix
- 1 cup (250 ml) chocolate frosting
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) vanilla frosting
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) chocolate cookie crumbs
- Prepare sugar cookies according to package directions for cut-out cookies, cutting cookies with a 2 1/2-inch (6.5 cm) round cookie cutter.
- Cool cookies completely. Spread 2 tsp. (10 ml) chocolate frosting on each cookie. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) cookie crumbs to look like dirt. Standing vertically and slightly overlapping, arrange one package of Nestlé SCARIES Snack Size Bars, alternating colours, on each cookie to resemble a worm’s body.
- Add vanilla frosting to a small resealable bag; snip corner. Pipe 2 eyes and a smile on the first SCARIES of each cookie for worm’s face.
Makes 24 cookies.