Leading up to Canada Day, the APEX team is having a great Canadian scavenger hunt, exploring media markets across the country.
Our next destination finds us out west in a city named after a sweet blueberry-like fruit and for which its scenic landscape has been compared to Paris.
- 300,600 (Census Metropolitan Areas)
3. 3 interesting facts
- Likely the only drive thru perogie restaurant in Canada (Baba’s Homestyle Perogies)
- The South Saskatchewan River runs through it, which is why Saskatoon has seven bridges (likely the origin of its Paris of the Prairies name).
- Saskatoon’s nickname is POW for its main industries (derived from potash, oil and wheat).
5. Known for
- “Paris of the Prairies” (also referenced in the Tragically Hip’s lyrics: “Sundown in the Paris of the Prairies”)
- Named after the Cree word for the Saskatoon berry found in the prairies
6. 5 local bloggers
7. 6 local hashtags
8. 4 upcoming events
9. Go-to source for anything local
10. 3 magazines
11. 3 media personalities
13. Local TV
14. Up to 10 radio stations
Photo credit: krystian_o at Photosforclass.com
NEXT: Our Montréal moment